Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Is it Really Cheating?

If you read many author's blogs, then you probably know that November is NANOWRIMO (National Novel Writing Month). For some, it's a way to get the creative juices flowing by completing a new 50,000 word novel in a month. For others (like moi) it starts out that way, but soon becomes an exercise in futility. Why? you ask. Because I get bogged down in the technical aspect of writing; you know, pesky little things like plotting, grammar, spelling, etc. I just can't seem to let myself free-write. Yet, I continue to try. (With all due respect to Yoda, I'm somewhere between "do" and "do not").

So, don't be surprised if some of your favorite authors aren't spending a lot of time in chats, or forums, or e-mails. They're probably agonizing over their NANOWRIMO word counts while trying to become better at their craft.

I chose two ongoing projects to concentrate on during my NANO writing craze, they are both at around 4000 words right now. I don't want to start a new project until at least one of them is finished. So, is it really cheating to start with a day old manuscript on November 1st? I don't think so. I think I'd be cheating myself, and my readers, more if I were to start something new with these two projects weighing me down.

On another note, Samhain Publishing opened its cyber doors today. Books won't be available until January 3rd, but stop by and take a look around. www.samhainpublishing.com

Peace,
Jessie

No comments: