Monday, November 20, 2006

More on The End

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I knew I had read Born in Death too fast, so I re-read it over the weekend. And I did miss something; not on the plot of this particular case, or anything to do with Mavis's baby, but in the whole of the series. There was absolutely no mention of the infamous candy thief in this book. In fact, Eve spent very little time at the precinct or in her office.

She's hidden her stash of real chocolate in almost every conceivable location in her small office, and in the last 5 or so books or so, someone has managed to find it. However, it's not even mentioned in this book. I found it very disappointing. Her ongoing battle with the vending machines provides some comical moments, but there's no mystery there. We've all lost money in them, but the candy thief has managed to outwit Eve Dallas at every turn, and I look forward to the moment she discovers her candy has been purloined.

Jessie

2 comments:

Angela James said...

Actually, there's one vague reference in the book to the candy thief. When they're at Eve and Roarke's home, it's mentioned. That's it, but the *mention* is there.

Jessie Verino said...

And, I'm thankful for Angela, my editor extraordinaire, who never misses anything! If you're giving thanks (even a little) for all the great books you've had the opportunity to read this past year, please remember the editors like Angela who never get enough praise for the work they put into making our stories better.