Sunday, January 21, 2007

A Fool's Errand...

...or the world's biggest optimist?

That's the question I kept asking myself yesterday morning. The doctors sprung Dad from the hospital Friday night. So I was at their house bright and early Saturday morning. Made coffee, fought my way through the maze of medications, prepared his insulin injection (the steroids are making his sugar high), and I was ready to sit for a few minutes. But no. Dad was out of cigarettes.

Did I mention he has lung cancer?

He also had a winning lottery ticket. Just a few dollars. (We play for fun when it gets over $200m.)

So, he hands me the lottery ticket and tells me to roll it over, which means buy as many picks as dollars he won, and money to buy him a carton of cigs.

I shouldn't have, but I did. He's flat out told me, my family, and his doctors that he's not going to quit smoking.

Well, what do you expect from Roger the Logger, quite possibly the toughest man in the entire world?

Jessie

No comments: