Sunday, October 28, 2007

Sunday Surprise

Yesterday, DH & I went furniture shopping. I like lots of splashy color. He likes neutrals. He got the slate couch and I got a new bookshelf in lieu of the set I really wanted. I think it's a fair trade-off.

So, I've been rearranging books. This morning, I pulled one book off an old shelf entitled, Standing the Gaff. It's been in my family forever. Published in 1935, by umpire Harry "Steamboat" Johnson. I've never read it. I've kept it for sentimental reasons. My uncle Kyle played minor league baseball for a few years, and might've made it to the big league if he hadn't been a mean drunk. By the time I was born, he was pretty much a washed-out has been who lived off my grandparents. He played the harmonica with a natural ability I've rarely seen, built model airplanes with perfection, taught me how to roll a cigarette, and died at an early age. Oh, there are plenty of stories there, but back to the book.

Apparently, my dad either bought or inherited the book, and he's written all through it. Sometimes his name, sometimes baseball stats by inning (probably watching my uncle's games), the birth years for everyone in my father's immediately, family and sometimes it looks like he's just practicing his penmanship. (It didn't help.)

Between the pages of the book, I found what looks like my grandmother's recipe for chocolate pie, a free offer cutout from the newspaper for salad dressing which was never sent in, another cutout of an advertisement, and another cutout, my birth announcement. I sat down, handling that small scrap of newspaper with the utmost care and read about the other births at the same hospital, two girls and two boys, and thought about how far we've come as the announcements started, Mr. & Mrs. John Q. Doe announce of the birth of... No mention of the mother's name whatsoever.

This ratty book which I've kept for years because of my uncle Kyle, held a treasure trove of bits of my family's history. What a nice Sunday surprise.

Jessie

No comments: