Monday, December 04, 2006

When Heroes Fall

When I think the word heroes, several images cross my mind: super heroes like Batman (my fav); sports figures (though not so much now as when I was a kid); firefighters, policemen, doctors, etc.; and of course, soldiers. Over the past few years, we've seen many of our heroes fall, and as I write this, a member of SMRW is getting ready to deploy to Iraq. Our thoughts and prayers go with him.

A little closer to home, though, we rarely acknowledge those who are close to us who are "everyday heroes." Perhaps, we've grown accustomed to the wonder we first experienced when we realized they were our hero. I have several in my life, most of them family members, but my dad has always been my first, and best, hero, as well as my biggest fan. Last week, I learned my dad has cancer. This is the second time he's been diagnosed with the disease. The good news is the doctors caught it early and the prognosis is good.

But it's scary, and it leaves me a little lost knowing my biggest hero could fall.

Jessie

No comments: