Thursday, November 01, 2007

Thursday Thesaurus

Construct - v

My Handy Dandy thesaurus suggests: build, fabricate, create, and arrange (among others).

Of course, most people think of buildings or manufacturing plants. Very few people apply the word to writing, but look at it this way:

I build a world.

I fabricate the societal structures of the world

I create (hopefully) believable characters who live in the world.

I arrange situations, conflicts, and other obstacles to complete the plot.

And I do it all without having to wear an uncomfortable hard hat, or smashing my thumb with a hammer. Sometimes, it's hot, sweaty work and leaves me with sore muscles and a headache, and sometimes it's more like I spent the day holding the "Men Working" sign.

I've started writing again, and the muscles are a little limp, so I decided to start some workouts. Someone, (I wish I could remember who so I could give her credit) sent an e-mail on one of my loops today about the Ficlets website. At Ficlets, you can start a story, or add to a story with a prequel or sequel. The catch? You only have 1024 characters. It makes you write tight.

I added a starter today (The Key), and I'll probably try to put something up once or twice a week. It's also great for getting the creative juices flowing. So, instead of writing, I'm doing creative construction.

Jessie

No comments: